I’m Michael Edelstone, a designer focused on utilitarian products and brands. I’m currently working as a consultant at SPR, a technology modernization firm based in Chicago. Before that I led design initiatives at Balto, Kuali, and Texas State University.
I enjoy bicycles, movies, astronomy, national parks, and adventures with my dog, Chloe. One day I hope to be recruited by an intergalactic team of fighter pilots like Alex Rogan in The Last Starfighter.
Things I know pretty darn well
- HTML and CSS: Scratch-built and standards-compliant, including grid, flexbox, and animations. We’re essentially BFFs.
- Design systems: I’ve built, scaled, and evolved component libraries on both the design and code sides.
- Accessibility: Universal design is central to my process. I’ve worked on interfaces conforming to the strictest standards.
- Product UX: Research, wireframes, and clickable prototypes using a refined, understandable process.
- User interviews: Moderated and unmoderated usability testing with real people – it’s the secret sauce.
- Git and GitHub: From React and Angular apps to static websites, I open source and the command line.