Quick intro 👋
I want to be your next designer, and I wrote this letter from scratch for your consideration.
So, why am I right for this? 🤔
I check just about all of the boxes on your job posting (including the preferred ones), and my direct experience with SaaS and higher education makes for a unique fit. Let me get specific:
- I focus on the customer: When we decided to overhaul Texas State’s CMS, I led several focus groups to uncover insights from our large community of web publishers, later converting those ideas into some well-received outcomes. I’ve continued this trend at BrickFTP, building stronger connections with our 1,700 customers through surveys, one-on-one chats, split testing, and passive tools like HotJar and Google Analytics.
- I’ve shipped complex web apps: BrickFTP is a file sharing app made exclusively for businesses. I was the principal designer for our recent switch from a to a React front end. I’m responsible for all of the UI (including color, typography, , , , , , , , , and ) and most of the UX (here are a couple of examples).
- I’m a natural communicator: Coworkers consider me honest, humorous, and expertly prepared with . I’m the creator of Texas State’s digital brand and even wrote the script for a nationally-televised ad campaign. At BrickFTP, I do a ton of UX writing, authoring thousands of words across the product interface, marketing materials, and the app’s changelog.
- I’m remote-ready: I’ve been working remotely in a highly-autonomous role for over a year now, and I’m convinced that I’m at my best in my home studio or local coffee shop. Tools like Slack and Zoom are second nature, and I’m happy to meet in person at regular intervals. I’m looking for something long term and plan to grow a ton in the coming years.
- Digital designer since 2009
- Design lead for about four years
- Broad skill set spanning user research, design systems, UX writing, and code
- Conscientious, capable, and fun
- the higher education community
- Remote friendly, autonomous, and happy to visit you in Lehi anytime
I’m also human 👫
I’m proud of my career accomplishments, but I’m equally devoted to my growth as a human being. I recently lost 75 pounds, and I recharge by way of epic bicycle adventures and road trips with my dog, Chloe. I read a lot of books and articles and often bookmark my favorites.
I’m opinionated, but I’m always looking to change my mind.
Favorite tools 🛠️
- Visual design: Sketch, Photoshop, Principle (learning now)
- Interaction design: Balsamiq, InVision, paper and pencil
- User feedback: Google Analytics, HotJar, talking to customers directly
- Code: Chrome DevTools, Atom, GitHub
- Remote: Slack, Zoom, Google Docs
- Sounds: Google Play Music, LastFM, A Soft Murmur
And in conclusion... 🌈
Thank you for reading this and clicking around my website. I would genuinely like to work with the Kuali team. Please contact me anytime if you’d like to talk.